Monday, July 19, 2010

coupla tings

This weekend I went to the one horse town where I grew up, to visit with my family. I needed to get in a couple of hours and only had access to roads, so I decided to make it a Magical Mystery Tour, of sorts. Decided to just run around for a while to different spots that at some point in my youth, had some level of significance.

Completely unintentionally I found that I was right down the street from the pool where I used to work. It was the first job I ever had. I thought it was odd that the sign was gone, and as I got closer I realized that there were no cars in the parking lot. Since it was probably well into the 90's the place normally would have been packed. It quickly became obvious the place was no longer in business. I took a stroll down the long parking lot to where the entrance gate was. The place still smelled exactly the same, sort of a mixture of pine trees and some other smell I have always for some reason associated with Sugar Babies candy. It smelled like summer when you are a young kid, and have nothing to do all day long except loaf at the pool. The place looked like it hadn't been closed that long, maybe only a year or two. It was very sad, it kind of looked like the circus had left town. On that type of a day -- very hot, with clear blue skies -- it would have been busy with people.

To this day I still don't like walking over any bridge that I can see through to the water, and I think it is because of a very small, short bridge at that pool.

Upon returning to work today I learned that the owner died in 2007 or 2008. It is a shame this pool is no longer in business, it has been around forever in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment