Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Chess

Just a quick victory note to say that I won at chess tonight (against a computer). It wasn't pretty, but pretty doesn't count for anything.

I know that my wife was sick and throwing up, but one of the benefits of the first trimester for me was that she went to bed at 6 PM every night, which afforded me the opportunity to really read up on basic chess strategy. Once I figured out what the hell I was supposed to be doing, and not just moving pieces aimlessly about the board, I fell in love with it. I try to play as often as I can.

I love chess, to me it is the ultimate game of strategy. I hate losing at chess even more than I hate getting beaten in a race. I have a board at work sitting on my desk, in hopes that somebody will see it, and want to get a regular game going. So far I have no takers. One person did express an interest in chess, but said that since he is not 80 years old, has no interest in playing at lunch time. I tried to bait him by calling him a coward, evidently this did not entice him because he didn't respond to the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment