Wednesday, September 29, 2010

triumphant return

Today was the first time I have attempted to do any sort of endurance exercising whatsoever, since Wasatch. I guess that would make it (Sept 29 - Sept 11) = 18 days! I got on the stair climber at lunch and the pain on the outside of my right knee slowly got more and more acute. IT band all the way. I got off as soon as I realized it wasn't going away (and was, in fact, getting worse) and hopped on the treadmill for a little. As long as I'm on flat ground, no problems, but up or down steps it starts to hurt.

I'm sure it is due to my not stretching one bit since the race, IT band problems for me are usually indicative of a tight lower back. The lower back has been feeling tight lately. So, now I've got to nurse this. Hopefully it will not put too much of a damper on my 50k plans next month.

There seems to be a correlation between my return to running after a race, and IT band problems. My first experience with this nuisance injury was after I ran my first 50 miler, the JFK 50 in 2008. My first run back, I was practically hobbled with an IT band injury and it took a month or two for it to completely go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment