Tuesday, January 24, 2012

racing year taking a little bit more shape

My 2012 racing season is taking a bit more shape this week.

For starters, I withdrew my name from the Massanutten Mountain Trails 100 waiting list this week. I was 9th on the list, and was basically guaranteed entry. This is a fantastic race and I really hope to run it again in the future. However, 2012 is not the year to do it..........no real reason I can point to, other than I know in my gut that I don't want to do it this year.

The Wasatch Front 100 lottery odds were released yesterday. Something like 550 applicants for about 250 entries..........and some of those applicants are guaranteed entrants. Puts my chances of getting into the race at something less than 45%, depending on how many guaranteed entries there are. The first year I entered the lottery for this race, I think the odds were almost 75% of getting in!

The only race I know for certain that I am running is the Pittsburgh marathon. Depending on how much peer pressure I receive, I may throw my name into the lottery for Bull Run Run 50 miler, just because the pressure-r is a great guy who I always have a blast with when I run with............but really, what are the chances that both he AND I will get into the race? To be frank, I will only do that one if we both get in. The most appealing part of it for me is training with a friend and traveling to the race with him, with some friendly competition thrown in.

So.........if I do not get into Wasatch Front via the lottery, I think the odds of me taking on an Ironman-distance triathlon (this one) are very high. I think I will go to the pool tomorrow night and see how it feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment