Tuesday, December 28, 2010

2010 Wrap Up

Last night my daughter's schedule had me waking at about midnight, and again at around 5 A.M. My wife graciously agreed to rock the baby to sleep after I was done feeding her -- getting the baby to eat is easy, getting her to go back to sleep is something very different. This was the closest I have come to solid sleep in almost a month and consequently, I feel terrific. Therefore I have decided to note a few key things that stand out from 2010, in no particular order:
  1. Birth of my daughter -- Nothing can possibly prepare a person for what it means to be a parent. We are only 3.5 weeks into it but it has already been a complete transformation. I immediately fell in love with my girl and it only gets worse as time goes on.
  2. Wasatch Front 100 -- Besides #1 above, this is probably the baddest thing I have ever done in my entire life. Also similar to #1, I walked away from this a very different person. I can't really pinpoint what the change was but there is most decidedly a difference, for the better.
  3. Training required to get through #2 -- WF100 would not have been possible without a whole lot of training. I did things to prepare that hurt just thinking about.
  4. Pet Sounds/Smile -- I spent much of the summer listening to the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds," and Brian Wilson's "Smile." They are both incredible.
  5. Fridays at Ohiopyle -- I took a vacation day almost every Friday for several weeks and drove to the biggest hills I had access to, on the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail. I frequently found myself running out of water, in near triple digit temperatures, forcing me to get creative so I would not dehydrate on the 8 hilly miles back to the car, and die. This usually resulted in me drinking stream water.

No comments:

Post a Comment