Thursday, February 10, 2011

ahoy

Dear Diary, I did not get into the much sought-after Hardrock 100, although I was lucky enough to at least make 54th on the wait list. Most applicants did not even get selected for the waiting list. As an aside, I find it quite comical to listen to the diva-like whinings of some of the so-called "elite" ultrarunners who did not get selected. I can understand being upset, but it should be recognized that the character of the race is ultimately up to the Board of Directors. If they decide they want Hardrock to remain a brutally difficult but still low-key race, that is their decision. Another way of putting it would be to say that they call the tune, and we all have to dance to it.

I did however get selected for the equally exciting Wasatch Front 100 for the second year in a row! I am most thrilled about this race again in 2011, and just can't say enough good things about it. I decided to throw a new twist into the year by attempting to run two 100's in one calendar year, the other being MMT (which I did not get selected for last year). The only other race on my calendar is the inaugural Glacier Ridge 50, which will be essentially a training run for MMT.

Despite being a big fan of the race, and having run it for the last two years, I have opted to not run in the Laurel Highlands Ultra this year. It is a great event but I think it is time for me to take a year off from it and hopefully hit it again hard another year. I also think it is wise to leave my calendar wide open between May and September.

All of this is of course contingent upon my ability to balance running with my family, who is the super-duper first priority! If I even get the slightest whiff that my home life is suffering due to the heavy training, I will not hesitate for a second to dial it back, even if that means pulling out of a race. However I am pretty confident I can balance it all. I think I can incorporate my training into my day fairly readily without too much disruption.

Baby is getting better and better every day. I love my little girl unconditionally. I'm sure I would have been happy with a boy but having a little girl is about the best thing in the world as far as I'm concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment