Sunday, August 15, 2010

long run(s)

Took Friday off as usual, and did a long run in the Laurel Highlands. The usual route, although I decided to make this run more of a realistic dress rehearsal. That meant the Nathan, two handheld bottles, and the trekking poles. Long story short, started to run short on water therefore I could only do two hill repeats of the big hill. I reckon that with that amount of fluid, I can probably last about 4 hours. I will certainly keep that in mind when doing my planning for the 'satch. This time 4 weeks from now, I will be in a monumental amount of pain, but I will have that belt buckle in my hand.

Saturday, was looking for somebody to run with since I am starting to lose it as far as spending large amounts of time by myself in the woods. Turns out, there was an organized race at Mingo Park, put on by the Pittsburgh Road Runners Club I believe. Saw a bunch of good people I have not seen in a while, met up early with some and got some time in on the trails, then ran the race, then some of us decided to put in a couple more hours. Listened to some good stories by a guy who just finished his first hundred miler at Burning River, sounds like he had a great time. Another we ran with will be doing his first hundred at Oil City in October. He is a machine, I have no doubts that he will finish. Anyway, it was very good to run with other people besides my Ipod. It was a heater out there.

Today, got in about 2 hours on the bike to round out my training for the week. Now that I am 6 weeks into it, looks like I average a little over 15 hours per week training. That figure is a bit low compared to some others I have read: I was told 15 is a minimum to just get through it, if you want to do well, plan for 18 or 19. I saw a Youtube clip of a Badwater racer who said he was putting in 30+ hour weeks training. For me, right now, 15+ is a pretty good balance, considering everything else going on.

Picked up another case of the much heralded Lake Erie Monster before it goes out of production! Need to go bathe, going to Nakama in a couple minutes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment