Monday, September 12, 2011

Wasatch DNF

I had my 1st DNF at the 2011 Wasatch Front 100. Sometimes you can do everything right, and the stars just don't align I suppose.

I did not go early to acclimate to the elevation this year, like I did in 2010. This proved to be an extremely costly mistake. Despite much more consistent, smart, and focused training, along with a taper that left me bouncing off the walls, the elevation during the race put a hurting on me early.

My muscles were clearly operating in an anaerobic state, even while I was walking. In addition, I had a headache so severe that I could feel my pulse inside my head, and it felt like somebody had me in a bear hug. I was tearing through calories climbing all the mountains and could barely get anything down without feeling sick. My pace slowed to a crawl and no matter what I tried, I could not bring things back under control, and the situation was getting progressively worse.

By the time I rolled into the Big Mountain Pass aid station, an hour slower than 2010 (despite significant walking stretches), I knew my race was done. To his credit, crew extroadinaire Phil Turk tried his hardest to make sure I was not just in a low point, and this was really what I wanted to do. I was sure I was making the right decision and I still stand by it.

Could I have finished the race? I don't know because I didn't try........maybe I could have. What I was NOT willing to do was let the race turn into a 60 mile death march, which is what would have happened. I trained hard this summer, and I intended on RUNNING this race strong until the end. Therefore I wasn't about to let it devolve into an unpleasant slog to Homestead.

Furthermore, I was not about to adopt a "finish at all costs" approach because the last time I did that, I ended up in the hospital for 3 days.

I am 100% confident that I made the right call on that particular day. It doesn't make it any easier though, I worked tirelessly toward my goal of finishing this race 2 years in a row, and it was very disappointing to watch it unfold the way it did.

One day, when my daughter is old enough to come with me, my family and I will go out a week early, and I will erase this DNF. For the time being, my mountainous 100 mile days are done, and I intend to focus on other endurance-related pursuits.

1 comment:

  1. Eric:

    I saw what happened out in Utah. But I also saw all the miles you punched the clock out on Laurel, how hard you trained, and how fit you were. You have NOTHING to hang your head low over. You ran 40 murderous miles through the Rockies with ZERO acclimation. You did your best and, on this one day, you didn't feel good. And that is all. There will again come a day where you toe the line at Wasatch, fit AND acclimated, and on that day you will settle the score. Thank you for trusting enough in me to give me the privilege of crewing for you. If you need me again, I'll be ready. Chin up, brother!

    ReplyDelete