Sunday, April 10, 2011

"One more mile!!!"

Yesterday I ran the Glacier Ridge 50k. The conditions were......a bit muddy. Overall, I was very happy with the effort. My stomach turned south at mile 21 and I had to spend some time getting myself back together, but I finished quite strong so I will count it as a good day.

I wanted to spend some time addressing those spectators who insist on clapping loudly and yelling in my face, "one more mile!" Regardless of where these people are situated on the course, according to them, there's only one mile left. This assessment is almost never, ever accurate.

Dear. Mr or Mrs. Spectator, PLEASE don't clap loudly in my face and try to cheer me up by screaming at me, "ONE MORE MILE!!" I may be tired and hurting, but trust me, I know how much further I have to go, and it is longer than just a mile. As a matter of fact, I have been trying hard for the last 3 or 4 hours to forget how much further I have to go, and when you do this, it forces me to stop and think about it.

I know you are only trying to be encouraging, but please understand that my feet hurt, my back hurts, my legs are killing me, even my hair hurts. Not only have I been running this whole time, but I have probably been awake since about 4 A.M (or perhaps earlier). I may or may not have vomited somewhere earlier during the race. At the very least, I DEFINITELY had a spell somewhere where I thought I was going to -- my stomach was killing me on a climb somewhere back there, and I truly believed I was about to lose my cookies. I have had my ups and downs during this race, and this close to the end, I should be elated, but really, I'm just exhausted. I'm ready to be done, but there is a big difference between the hour I have left, and the "ONE MORE MILE" you insist on screaming in my face. I truly hope you appreciate the restraint I am showing by not punching your damn lights out, or at the very least, clotheslining you.

Love,
Eric

1 comment: